Important Updates

A new policy — SPG 601.91 Clery Act Compliance — outlines the expectations of the U-M Division of Public Safety and Security and employees designated as CSAs in the university’s compliance with the Clery Act.  Adults working with minors have been identified as CSAs and must complete the mandatory training annually in addition to the required CoC training modules. Any questions related to Clery training requirements can be directed to


See the U-M Standard Practice Guide: Children on Campus

University-Sponsored Programs (programs and activities under the direction and authority of the university and that are administered by faculty, staff and sponsored student organizations on behalf of the university) must:

Non-University-Sponsored Programs (programs that are not operated on behalf of the university or under the university’s control) must:

  • Comply with facility usage requirements including providing certificates of insurance and certificate of compliance with university guidelines for children and teen programming.
  • Comply with program and event requirements including for example, background checks, providing appropriate adult supervision for the children or teens under their care, and providing certificates of insurance and certificate of compliance with university guidelines for children and teen programming.
  • Sign the Acknowledgement of Responsibilities confirming compliance with all policy requirements.

Programs/Events exempt from the policy

  • Children attending University of Michigan academic classes (including dual enrollment)
  • Children employed by the University of Michigan
  • Children during delivery of medical care services
  • Children as guests of family members
  • Children participating in private or public events accompanied by parents/legal guardians or adults designated as responsible for their care by parents/legal guardians

Student Organizations Notice

Student organizations at the University of Michigan are student-led and organized. They exist based on the principle that students have a right to freely associate without coercion and undue influence from the university. Most student organizations at the university are considered to be voluntary student organizations. Voluntary student organizations are independently and solely responsible for their publications and activities.

Only those activities and events that have university oversight are listed as university-sponsored youth programming on this website.

These student organizations receive limited access to university support and benefits based on their agreement to comply with the university’s expectations for student organization conduct. Due to the independent nature of voluntary student organizations, they do not speak for or represent the University of Michigan.

Except as necessary in cases of violation of university policy, the university does not interfere with the internal affairs or speech of these organizations. Further, the university expressly disclaims any responsibility or liability for any representations or acts of voluntary student organizations or their representatives that are inconsistent with the University’s Standard of Conduct for Recognized Student Organizations.

For more information about student organizations on each campus, visit the following websites:

Ann Arbor – Center for Campus Involvement

UM-Dearborn – Office for Student Engagement

UM-Flint – Department of Student Involvement and Leadership

Reporting Obligations

The university expects support for and accountability from those working with children and teens through shared responsibility for reporting misconduct, criminal activity or known or suspected abuse or neglect of children and teens.

Anyone participating in a university-sponsored program or a non-university-sponsored program operating in university facilities who knows, suspects or receives information indicating that a child or teen has been abused or neglected, or who has other concerns about the safety of children or teens, MUST inform the appropriate campus department of public safety (numbers listed below), the local police department, or the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services at 855-444-3911.

Ann Arbor – 734-763-3434

UM-Dearborn – 313-593-5333

UM-Flint – 810-762-3333

Other Policies Related to Children and Teens

The university has specific policies addressing children or teens as employees, research subjects, research laboratory visitors or volunteers and patients. Please contact Risk Management Services at 734-764-2200 or if you have questions about these activities.