Doing the right thing is not always easy. Try to avoid these excuses for behavior that may not meet the requirements of U-M’s Code of Conduct:
- Other programs or universities are doing it this way
- Even if the action is a little questionable, it’s for a good cause
- No one will ever know
- I don’t have time to do it the right way
- I saw my supervisor doing it the other day
- That policy wasn’t meant to apply to me
- I’m a good person so it’s okay for me to bend the rules
At times, a difficult situation may present itself, and the right decision may not be clear or easy to make. As you consider possible actions, ask yourself these questions:
- Is there a law or regulation that governs the situation? If there is, the law should be followed at all times?
- Is there an internal policy or procedure that governs the situation? If there is, the law should be followed at all times?
- Would my action be consistent with U-M’s commitment to the highest ethical standards?
- How would my actions be seen by someone outside the organization?